Yesterday I worked on my shadow box some more, painting the window, making curtains and painting the papier mache.
I took my dremel type tool with a steel polishing brush to the soft wood of the window frame and distressed it. It was so much easier and quicker than sanding I did the same with some wood that I had cut for the shelf that would go over the top of the window. I saw Nikki make these a while ago and loved them so much I wanted to try it out here.
Then I painted it all green, aged it again and put on some washes of dirty green and brown here and there to really muddy it up.
While I was using my paints I used a wash of sandstone to get rid of the white of the papier mache and some dirty green on the ceiling and in the corners.
I made some curtains using a fabric I had by simply gluing a hem at the top for the curtain pole to go through. Then fraying the bottom.
The masking tape is there because I discovered that my spray starch, or more accurately the solvent in it caused my PVA hem to come apart. I spray starched the curtains and pinned them into place on a cork board. This is the first time I have done this and it was remarkably easy.
Then I leaded the acetate that came with the window. I cut 1mm lead strips from a self adhesive roll I had bought from Romney miniatures. Then I stuck it to the acetate following a grid I had drawn onto graph paper. (Thanks for this recent tip Janice)
Finally I put it all together and varnished the shelves, window seat and floor as they were looking a bit dull.
And here it is.
I really love how it has worked out. Now I just have to fill it.....