Tuesday 12 April 2011

Papering over the cracks...

Well my room box finally dried but as you can see from the picture below it had suffered badly from cracking during the drying process.  Because it is in the corners I think it must have happened because of trapped air.

I used the remaining papier mache to fill the cracks.  I covered them in some thick PVA, pushing it into the cracks then I filled them with the papier mache.  I was really careful to push it in firmly to minimise the amount of trapped air.  Then I smoothed it all out. 
I will have to wait till it dries...again....to see if it has worked.

1 comment:

  1. I like the look of your papier mache a lot, it's a good colour (better than art mache methinks and more the colour of paper clay and look of paperclay).

    Paperclay, papier mache have a nasty habit of shrinking and leaving huge gaps (if you're that unlucky), it's dependent on atmosphere, weather etc., air bubbles normally disperse on their own and don't cause cracking (I pop them as a rule).

    You've done the right thing and filled in the gaps with the same medium.

    Michelle xx

    ReplyDelete